Before Installing Windows Phone 8.1 for Preview for Developers you need to follow some safety steps otherwise you may lose you all data and can’t get it back. Microsoft has released Windows Phone 8.1 Update 1 for developers preview users with some bug fixes only without any feature improvement.
When I installed the update on My Nokia Lumia 720 having preview for developers pre-installed, I have ended up losing all my data, settings, apps and messages. As i didn’t create any back up before updating so I lose all my data.
Now if you don’t want to lose your data, then follow below Safety steps before Installing the Preview for Developers Windows Phone 8.1 Update 1:
I cannot say for sure what exactly made it work but here’s what I did…
- I created a manual backup of the phone: Settings>backup>apps+settings>backup now.
- I reset my phone to factory (DP 8.1) but left my SD card alone: Settings>about>reset your phone.
- I restored the phone using the backup I just created. I reconnected to all of my accounts and let the phone download all of my apps.
- I missed this at first…Don’t forget to sign back into the Preview for Developers app! When I first checked for the update it wasn’t there because of this.
- Once signed into the Preview for Developer app, I downloaded and installed the update. This time, instead of 2 separate installs there was only one. This one seemed to have both the update with patches & the 8.1 update all in one. (maybe there was a change on the server side which combined the updates or maybe it was the factory reset that made this work, I don’t know)
This worked for me as well, I got sick of the phone telling me about the update only to have it fail all of the time, and I thought that it was about time for a refresh.