Most people who have limited bandwidth are asking the same question, how much data does WhatsApp use? or Does Whatsapp use data? and we decided to provide you an answer on this question.
What is WhatsApp Messenger?
WhatsApp Messenger is cross-platform, a freeware application for smartphones that will make your instant messaging encrypted so you don’t have to worry about any kind of violation of privacy because it is much protected with encrypted data. You can use it in order to make voice calls, video calls, text messages where you can send GIFS, videos, user location, audio files, and voice notes and there are many more features that you can use only by installing it on your mobile device. You will be able to make your own Status, by uploading videos and photos that will last only 24 hours from other social networks such as Facebook, Instagram or Snapchat. You can download Whatsapp Messenger for PC here.
If you are looking to use dual Whatsapp accounts then this article on How to Run Two Whatsapp account on a single device may work for you.
WhatsApp is based in California and it was bought by Facebook in February in 2014 and today they have the largest database which counts over one million registered users which make it one of the most popular messaging apps.
How much data does WhatsApp use?
Whatsapp is one great way for you if you want to communicate without any charge and quickly. Even though it may seem that we can send as many messages that we want, there is only one limitation and that is the internet connection. You must have Wi-Fi or you can use your cellular data.
If you use WhatsApp on Wi-Fi, it doesn’t matter how much data you use because it is not limited by anyway. However, if you choose to spend cellular data, that could be interesting, because WhatsApp will start consuming your data as soon as your internet is available. So you have to be careful to enter the internet not all the time because you will run out of MB without even noticing.
In order to understand how many MB WhatsApp uses on your smartphone, you just have to open WhatsApp application by clicking or tapping on the icon.
Even though it is similar, we are going to provide you methods for Windows and Android phones and as well as iPhones. The principle is the same, however, settings are located in different folders and that is why we are going to show you how much data does your WhatsApp use?
Check Whatsapp Data Usage on Android and Windows devices?
- If you are an Android or Windows user, you just have to go to Whatsapp settings menu and then you will enter into the menu with different possibilities, you have to find the data usage.
- When you enter data usage you have to scroll in order to find the particular app that you want to check, in this case, WhatsApp.
- When you find the app, you will see in front of your Network usage click in order to see how much data this app consumes.
- If you want to restrict your usage, just click Change only to Wi-Fi and everything will be solved, it will not connect on WhatsApp until you are connected to Wi-Fi.
Check Whatsapp Data Usage on iPhone?
Even though it functions the same, there is some differences and storage is one of them. On Android devices you will be able to see the only total amount of messages, however, on iOS; you will be able to look for individual amounts that you have spent every time you communicated with someone. That means that you will be able to see to whom you are sending too many messages.
- Enter into WhatsApp settings menu and click Data Usage. You will see Network usage option that will be at the very bottom, just tap on it in order to continue.
- It is a similar idea as with Android devices, however, you will be able to determine and choose the option that is the best for you, which means that you should accept only calls if you are connected to Wi-Fi, that will limit your Whatsapp data usage and therefore your bill at the end of the month.
How much data does a minute of a WhatsApp call consume?
Whatsapp is the 2nd highest data using app for a voice call which uses 740.6 KB data per minute. Skype is the no. 1 voice calling app which uses the most data. You can see the details in below graph.
As per calculations made by the, a minute of WhatsApp call costs around 0.15 MB to 0.20 MB of 3G data which means a 5-minute call cost around 1MB of 3G data. The call quality on 3G networks is decent but on 2G, there is a considerable amount of lag.
Also, on 2G, a minute of WhatsApp call costs around 0.35MB which is higher than 3G. Without mobile internet plans, the standard data rates for most operators are 4p /10 KB (3G) and 10p / 10 KB (2G).
This roughly translates to Re 1 per minute of WhatsApp call on 3G and Rs 2.50 per minute on 2G network.
4 Things to do to Reduce Whatsapp Data Usage:
Follow these few points that can help you to save data usage while using WhatsApp with cellular data.
- Disable auto-download of Images, Audio, & Videos
- Reduce the voice call quality
- Chat Backups to be taken only over Wi-Fi
- Exclude Video Backup of Whatsapp Data
We have presented you ways to understand how much data does your WhatsApp uses and to limit the spending into the Wi-Fi connection that will surely help you if you have limitation by the Internet provider.
If you have your own ideas and thoughts feel free to comment and to show us your experience.